tiistai 29. maaliskuuta 2011

Pattern of green lace socks

As I will link this to Ravelry.com, I will have to write this in English now.
This is a pattern for over knee lace socks, mine were green, which is why it also appears in the name. This is the first pattern I have EVER written in English, so I apologise if it is hard to understand. Any questions you might have, you are welcome to ask me.


Pattern:

64 stitches (16sts/needle)
NOTE! I have a very large leg, wide thigh and so on, so I have a looot of stitches. If you’re skinny, don’t create 64 stitches, the sock will be way too big.
Remember to create the stitches VERY loosely, otherwise the sock will only feel uncomfortable on your thigh.
                          
16 rows of ribbing:
K2, p2

In the lace pattern, between two ’rows’ of lace, there are two rows of stockinette stitching. Between my knee and my ankle I knit three (and four a few times) rows of stockinette, made it look better in my opinion. Right after the ribbing and before the heel I knit only the two rows, so that is why I drew the pattern with only two rows.



















Explanations:






O
O






O = yarn over





O


O





> = slip1, knit1, pass slip over




O




O




< = knit two together



O






O

























Knit as many rows of the lace pattern as you wish, I will not give any specific numbers of rows since every leg is different.

Before you get to the ankle, start decreasing the number of stitches on each needle. I ended up with 12 stitches on each needle. Decrease them gradually: decrease 2 stitches on each needle every three or four rows (your choice).
NOTE! If you begin the work with fewer stitches than I have, you might not need to do this decreasing.


Ankle:
When you get to the ankle, stop knitting the lace and knit six rows of stockinette before starting the heel.

Heel:
Your needles are numbered I, II, III and IV. The row changes between the I and the IV needles. For the heel, knit the stitches from needle number I on to the needle number IV, so that you have 3 needles with stitches on them, one of which (IV) has double the amount of stitches than the two others.
For the heel, forget about the two needles with fewer stitches on them and concentrate on #IV.  
Row 1: Purl all stitches on needle (if you have the same amount of stitches as I had, you should have 24 on needle #IV)
Row 2: Slip1, K1, Slip1, K1.....until you are at the end of your needle
Repeat these two rows as long as you see fit for your heel (My heel ended up having 25 rows). At this point you’ll start to decrease the stitches to get the heel shape.
Do not begin this on the purl side of the heel.
Row 1: Knit 13 stitches, SKP             turn the knit to the purl side
Row 2: Purl 10 stitches, K2TOG        turn the knit again
Once you get to the place where you decreased in the previous row, decrease by one again on each side (knit and purl).
Continue like this until you have 10 stitches on the needle.
If you are on your purl side, knit the stockinette side once more (as if you were about the knit the side of your flap as well).

Now you have a wonderful heel flap of 10 sts on your needle. Lift between 14 and 16 stitches from each side of the flap on different needles (as in the stitches of one side on one needle, and the stitches of the other side on the other needle). You should now have all 5 needles in your work, 2 of which have 12 stitches, 2 have 14-16 and 1 has 10 stitches.
The 10 sts on the needle number IV will be divided between the two needles next to them (the ones that have 14-16 sts each). After this you should have 2 needles with 19-21 sts.
On the first needle you should have 5 stitches that have already been knit, lift them on to your free needle and knit the rest on to the same needle. Knit one row of stockinette like this.
On the next row you’ll begin decreasing the number of stitches again, 2 sts on each row, always between one needle that has 19-21 stitches and one that has 12.
You should at this point have needles I-IV again. I has 19-21 sts, II has 12, III has 12 and IV has 19-21.

Row 1: Knit all but two stitches on needle I, K2TOG, knit all on II and III as you normally would, on IV SKP and knit the rest
Row 2: Knit all needles as you normally would
Row 3: Same as row 1

Repeat this procedure until you are left with 12 stitches on each needle.

Now you’ll just have to knit and knit and knit, until you have enough rows to hide your little toe (when you put the sock on that is…).
Once you get this far you’ll have to start decreasing again.
Row 1: Needle I, knit all but two, K2TOG. Needle II, SKP, knit the rest. Needle III, knit all but two, K2TOG. Needle IV, SKP, knit the rest.
Repeat this row until you have no stitches anymore and you’ll have to end your sock!
Congratulations!

Picture: 

3 kommenttia:

Blogger Elli-neiti kirjoitti...

Kirjoittaja on poistanut tämän kommentin.

13. huhtikuuta 2011 klo 2.34  
Blogger Robinr kirjoitti...

Hi there. Can you please
Tell me what the arrow symbols mean? I can't find it on the internet. Thank you. Robin tallaj@aol.com

23. joulukuuta 2017 klo 9.41  
Blogger Elli-neiti kirjoitti...

Kirjoittaja on poistanut tämän kommentin.

16. toukokuuta 2022 klo 6.31  

Lähetä kommentti

Tilaa Lähetä kommentteja [Atom]

<< Etusivu